Herbs have been used through history due to its healing qualities. Plants play an important role in ayurvedic medicine, Chinese medicine, and north American healers. Also, they are used as source of drugs in allopathic medicine.
In Ayurveda, yoga can also refer to the right usage or combination of substances. Therefore, any combination of herbs designed to have a specific effect on the body is yoga.
What is an herbal potion?
An herbal potion combines herbs according to their actions to help your body with specific health needs. They work synergistically to restore balance in your body. In other words, when you drink herbal potions, you practice yoga of herbs.
Although herbs are generally safe and can be taken freely, there are some exceptions when combining with certain drugs. Consult an herbalist or holistic nutritionist when you are taking medication before using herbal potions.
What is the story of herbal potions?
I prepared the first blend for my first restorative yoga class in the east end. My students loved it and ask me to make it again… a few classes after, they ask me to sell it to them!. That is how Sleeping beauty was born. The name came because its effect was like a magical potion and from fairy tales…
The success of sleeping beauty motivated to formulate other potions. I came up with Stress-free beauty and ♀ hormones beauty.
At a party, Kathryn Beet heard me telling the story and prompted me why don’t you make it for us?. She gave me advice on how to get started in a no-frills packaging version. People at Yogaspace love the teas.
This fall I started to volunteer in the kitchen of the West End Food Co-op. One of them was afraid to come down with a cold so I gave her a sample of the Flu-fighting beauty. She put me in contact with the purchaser and they placed an order.
Thanks to my students, Kathryn, and Sonia I found a way to help people heal and practice yoga of the herbs!
Why drink herbal potions?
- Herbs work faster than foods
- Herbs contain micronutrients
- Herbs act as homeostatic agents
- Herbs have special effects on the mind
- Herbs help in the self-healing process
How do I prepare herbal potions?
To make a hot infusion of your herbal potion:
- Boil one cup of spring water and pour over 1 tsp of the herbal potion in a tea pot.
- Cover with a lid and let it stand for 10-20 min.
- Strain and drink warm.
To make a cold infusion of your herbal potion:
- Pour 1 coup of room-temperature water over 1 tsp of the herbal potion in a jar.
- Cover with a lid and let it stand for 2 hrs. Best to
steep between 6 to 12 hours.
- Strain and drink.
For therapeutic purposes, take one cup three times a day away from meals. Keep in mind that herbs promote subtle changes that are more permanent but they might take time depending on how long you experience the imbalance.
How do I store herbal potions?
- Keep your herbal potions away from heat, light, air, and moisture.
- Protect their nutrients and the healing properties by storing them in an airtight tea canister at room temperature.
- Store in a fresh, dark and dry place away from heat. Do not store them in the freezer.
What Herbal potions are available?
The following herbal potions are available:
- Chilling beauty helps you cooling down your body from excess heat and reduces high Pitta conditions. It combines herbs with alterative, carminative, diaphoretic, nutritive and nervine tonic actions.
- Cleansing beauty stimulates gentle elimination and evacuation without depleting the body of essential nutrients like potassium. It combines herbs with alterative, diuretic, laxative, nutritive tonic, and liver tonic actions.
- Cooling beauty is a refreshing blend with herbs that have refrigerant properties to help you cool down, reduce inflammation and balance high Pitta conditions.
- ♀ hormones beauty helps to regulate hormones, tones and relaxes the uterine system, supports the adrenal glands, and soothes the nervous system.
- Flu-fighting beauty helps with common colds and flu. It combines herbs with antiviral, anticatarrhal, diaphoretic, and expectorant actions. It also stimulates an immune system response.
- Meditating beauty is balancing and calming herbal blend ideal for awakening and clearing the mind. It combines alterative, nervine, sedative, and rejuvenative actions.
- Stress-free beauty supports and strengthens the adrenals and the whole body, calms the nerves, and fortifies the immune system.
- Sleeping beauty promotes sleep, soothes the nervous system, and calms a racing mind. It combines nervine relaxant, sedative, hypnotic, anti-spasmodic, and adrenal agent actions.
For a customized herbal potion specially formulated to address specific needs, please contact Amyris.
Where can I buy Herbal potions?
You can buy herbal potions directly from me. They are also available at the following places: